Sunday, February 22, 2009

Better to be a "winer" than a "whiner"

I've learned to enjoy a bunch of new things in the last several years. Coffee, wine and sushi are the top 3 on the list.

Recently, I've discovered some really great and inexpensive wines that I just have to share with everyone I know.

1.) Cono Sur - 2008 Carmenere
Hard to believe that a wine that is so young could be so good, and so cheap. $8.99 at Whole Foods. Yep, Whole Foods and less than $10. Young, cheap and delicious. Sounds more like a romantic comedy tag line than a description for a wine but it's the perfect fit.

Here's the link to their website so you can check it out for yourself.
http://www.conosur.com/en/our-wines/our-varieties/carmenere/

One note, don't be put off by the screw top. It's becoming a favorite for me. Since I can't carry my wine opener on the plane anymore, it makes it easy to pick up some deli slices and a bottle without too much fuss. Way better than most restaurant meals on the road.

2.) Hawk Crest - 2005 Cabernet Sauvingnon

Great value but not in my normal $10-ish range for everyday wines. This one was in the $15 range.

Little sister to the infamous (and always amazing) Stag's Leap Winery, this is a wonderful bottle of wine. Great with steaks.

3.) Marquis Philips - 2007 Sarah's Blend
One of my everyday favorites. I used to buy this for sub-$10 at Costco. The newest vintage is now about $12. A great everyday wine. Like the Cono Sur, don't be put off by the screw top. Think of it as convenience for a nice everyday wine.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment