Mental Floss is one of my favorite FB links as well as a fun magazine. It challenges my daily perceptions and reminds me that things didn't just happen. They've evolved over time.
Today, they posted the following on FB...
On this date in 1776, the Continental Congress officially adopted the name "United States," replacing "United Colonies."
I know it seems inoccuous at first but it makes me realize all the political ideology thrown around about the founding fathers and what they intended is all BULL SHIT. They are playing on our collective ignorance knowing that we won't check their facts. And if we're not going to hold them accountable, why should they put any effort into being factual? We're buying what they are selling simply because they are offering it, not because we need it or understand the consequences of our decisions. It's like someone offering you to turn left or right when you really need to go straight. Unfortunately, we aren't offered the option so we don't take a minute to realize what we really need isn't even on the table and we should say no to both and continue on our merry way. It's a collective and cultural issue we're dealing with and until that is addressed, nothing else will get better.
But I digress...
There was a reason the US and our form of government was called an "experiment" when the framework was originally put into place. It took the pressure off of trying to be "right" out of the shoot. It gave us room to evolve and change as the needs of the new found country evolved and changed.
I'm tired of hearing how the founding fathers "intended" something. That's BS. They made it up as they went along and left plenty of room to make mistakes and learn from them. We've lost sight of that... the ability to fail and recover. Everyone is so busy judging everything and everyone with the intent of being "right". There is no right. There is only right now and tomorrow it will change. That's how life works - personally and politically.
I'm so tired of the media spewing hot air saying nothing. Those people are running a business and their business is to get viewers so they can get advertisers so they can cash big paychecks. I know it sounds cynical but it's true. None of them is doing it to inform or educate. If they were, their facts would be checked, their statements would have sound logic and accurate context and they would be trying to dialog and discuss with the other side instead of yelling, screaming and name calling. They all deserve time-out's like the children they are emulating. What ever happened to asking more questions designed to understand the other persons perspective? What happened to putting yourself in the other guys shoes?
I'm looking for a leader but there don't seem to be any emerging. I say screw them all. Let's lead ourselves for a change. You lead you and those that you influence everyday. I'll do the same. Lead by example. Think bigger than ever before. Hold yourself to a higher standard. That is the only change I can believe in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment